I write about Friday the 13th every year because 13 is a very lucky number for witches. I thought I’d do something a little different this year and just post a few fun tidbits.
Some events are intentionally scheduled for Fridays the 13th for dramatic effect. They include:
- Black Sabbath’s eponymous debut album was released in the UK on Friday, February 13, 1970.
- The 13th book in A Series of Unfortunate Events was released on Friday, October 13, 2006 by Lemony Snicket, also known as novelist Daniel Handler.
- Five of the twelve films in the Friday the 13th series, including the most recent (reboot of the series), were released on a Friday the 13th.
- A long-running theatrical show, Supernatural Chicago, premiered on Friday, February 13, 2004.
- AdventureQuest Worlds MMORPG features special in-game events featuring Voltaire (musician) and other guests for each Friday the 13th.
Events that have occurred on Friday the 13th include:
- On October 13, 1307, Templar Grand Master Jacques de Molay and several Templar Knights were arrested by King Phillip of France. Most were eventually tortured to death.
- On January 13, 1939, the single worst bushfire in Australian history struck Victoria, Australia, claiming 71 lives and causing widespread damage.
- The renowned rapper Tupac Amaru Shakur was pronounced dead on September 13, 1996.
- On August 13, 2004, Hurricane Charley slammed in to Southwest Florida as a Category 4 hurricane, the strongest hurricane to hit the United States since 1992. (I was in this hurricane btw!)
- An engineering train on the Northern Line of the London Underground became uncoupled and went on a 13-minute journey southbound from Archway station, finally stopping at Warren Street tube station on the West End branch of the line on August 13, 2010. The train in front was forced to skip several stations and was diverted to the City branch of the line.
- On January 13, 2012, France, Austria, Malta, Slovakia, Slovenia, Cyprus, Italy, Portugal and Spain had their credit ratings downgraded by Standard & Poor’s.
- On January 13, 2012, the luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia sank in front of the island of Isola del Giglio, killing at least sixteen aboard and injuring 64.
- North Korean satelite launch attempt Kwangmyŏngsŏng-3 failed on April 13, 2012. (that’s today!)
- The asteroid 99942 Apophis will make a close encounter with Earth, closer than the orbits of communication satellites, on April 13, 2029. (YIKES!)